Mexican style shredded beef for tacos/tortas
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- Small mixing bowl
- Cast Iron Skillet (if using oven method)
- 1 3-5 lb bonless beef chuck roast
- 4 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 3 dried Guajillo Peppers seeded, stemmed
- 3 dried ancho chilies seeded, stemmed
- 2 Chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 Tbsp. Light Brown Sugar packed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl add chilis and cover with hot water and allow to soak for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Meanwhile, season roast on all sides with salt and pepper to taste. Cut into 2 inch chuncks. Add 2 tbsp oil into hot cast iron pan on stove and sear on all sides. Doing in batches as to not steam the meat but to get it golden brown on all sides using more oil as needed.
- In the blender, add all remaing items, blend until completly smooth. Adding a little water if needed to blend.
- Pour sauce over chuck roast in the pan, place lid and braise in a 300 degree oven for 3 1/2 hours until meat is tender and shreadable. Serve on corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and salsa. You can also make this into a Mexican style sandwich called a torta.
Instant Pot Method
- Use the sear setting to sear the seasoned roast on all sides adding oil when needed, pour the sauce over the meat, set to beef/stew setting place lid on making sure the release valve is closed position. set timer for 70-75 minutes, let naturally realease for 10 minutes. Serve on corn tortillas with onion, cilantro, and salsa. You can also make this into a Mexican style sandwich called a torta.
Slow cooker Method
- Place seasoned roast, and sauce into slow cooker, place lid and set on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.Serve on corn tortillas with onion, cilantro and salsa. You can also make this into a mexican style sandwhichcalled a torta.