Cochinita Pibil with Habanero Salsa
Mexican Pulled Pork in Achiote Sauce with Spicy habanero Salsa
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
Medium Mixing bowl
- Combine the red onion and habanero chilies in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice, vinegar and water. Season with salt and pepper and oregano. Mix until well combined. Refridgerate at least one hour.
- Combine achiote paste, onion, garlic, lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano in the blender, blend until completly smooth.
- Place the cut pork pieces into the instant pot/slow cooker, season with salt and pepper. Add the lard and the marinade onto the pork. Add 2 cups of water and place the lid onto the instant pot/slow cooker. Make sure the release valve is set to close.
Instant Pot Method
- Set instant pot to meat/stew setting on High for 70 minutes. Let naturally release for 10 minutes. Shred pork and return to the Instant pot. Now, set the instant pot to saute for 30 minutes with the lid OFF.
Slow Cooker Method
- Set slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4 1/2 hours. Once complete, shred with fork place the liquid on the stove and reduce by half, return the liquid back to the slow cooker with the meat and combine.
- Serve with warm tortillas and the Habenero salsa
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!