Mexican Red Rice
Fine Mesh Strainer
Medium Mixing bowl
- 1½ cups Long Grain white Rice
- 3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Tomatoes chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Large Onion chopped
- 1 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 2¾ cups Chicken Broth/Stock
- 2-3 Baby Carrots chopped
- ½ cup Peas if canned, then drain, if frozen add directly
- 1 Cilantro 1 sprig, chopped
- 1 Serrano Chilies chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add rice and enough HOT water just to cover the rice. Stire once and let stand for 10-15 minutes. After the timer is up, place rice in the fine mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly under cold water until the water runs clear and not milky or cloudy. Turn water off, and keep shakeing the strainer well to help the rice get ride of any access water, i rub my hand in the rice and move the rice around to make sure all water is gone. Set rice aside to dry.
- Heat the oil in a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then add the rice. It will sizzle as it should when you place it in the pot. Fry the rice for 8-10 minutes stiring requently, funtil rce is light and golden rowni.
- While the rice is cooking, add the tomatoes, garlic and onion to the blender, blending until completely smooth. Pour the tomato mixture into the rice using the fine mesh strainer again. Stir and continue to cook until the liquid has been absorbed into the rice. Make sure to continue to stire frequently as to not let rice stick to bottom of the pot, about 3-5 minutes. Stire in the chicken broth, and the carrots and peas and bring to a boil.
- Once it comes to a full boil, cover the pan and cook over low heat until all the liquid has been asborbed. This will take about 15 mintues. Make sure you do NOT touch or stir the pot!! If you continue to touch the rice, it will become MUSHY, nobody likes mushy rice, so just leave it alone with the lid on until the 15 mintues are over.
- At the 15 minute mark, take the lid off and check to see if the liquid has been absorbed, if so take pot off heat and then fluff with a fork then place thelid back on and let it set for 10-15 mintues. If there is still some liquid then continue to cook 3 minutes at a time checking at the 3 minute mark.
You can serve this rice with about anything, today I served it with my Bistec a la Mexicana 😉 and some Frijoles negros cremosos.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!