Mexican Beef Stew
- 2 dried ancho chilies stemmed and seeded
- 4 lbs bonless beef chuck roast trimmed of extra fat, cut into 1 ½ in cubes
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 2 Small Yellow onion chopped fine
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1-2 Jalapeños minced
- 1 tbsp. Dried Oregano
- 1½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 1 14.5 oz diced tomatoes
- 1½ lbs. Red Potatoes un-peeled, cut into 1½ inch pieces
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Green Bell Pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup green olives pitted and chopped coarse
- ¼ -1 cup Cilantro
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 325° F
- In large Dutch Oven over medium heat toast the ancho chilis for 5-6 minutes. once done move to plate and set aside.
- Pat beef cubes dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in empty dutch oven, over medium heat until just smoking. Brown half of the meat on all sides, 7-10 minutes. Transfer to plate and continue with the other half of the meat.
- Add onions and ¼ teaspoon salt to the fat that is left in the pan, cook until softend about 5-6 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeno, oregano, cumin and cinnamon and cook until fragrant. about 30 seconds more.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to cook out the flour taste, stiring with the onions and other ingredients.
- Slowly whisk in the beef broth, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom. Add in the tomatoes, and their juices and add the toasted ancho chilies and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the beef and all the juices from the plate, cover and transfer to the oven, cook for 1 hour.
- Add in potatoes and bell peppers, cover and continue cooking for another 1-1½ hours longer, until beef and potatoes are tender.
- Remove pot from oven and discard the ancho chilies, stir in the olives and let sit until they are heated through, about 3-5 minutes. Add in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!