Red-Eye Beef Stew
- 4 Lbs. Top round Beef roast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Lb. Ground Hamburger
- 1-2 Jalapeños Cut in Half ( if you don't like spicy just use one pepper, if you are like me and love the spice use both peppers)
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 6-8 Fresh Sage Leaves Whole
- 1 ½ Cups Strong Brewed Coffee
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 5-10 Red Potatoes cut in half or in 4th's depending on how big they are
- 1 small bag Baby Carrots whole
- ¼ cup Dried Parsley
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 250° F. Season the beef cubes on all sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the 1 tsp. butter. Add the hamburger and season with salt and pepper and cook until browned about 5-10 minutes, remove to a plate.
- Working in batches, sear the cubes of meat and jalapeño halves on all sides until brown. about 10-12 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Leave all of the fat in the Dutch oven.
- Toss the beef cubes and Jalapeno with the flour, lightly coating each piece on every side.
- Add to the hot Dutch oven the onions, paprika and sage leaves, stirring until the onions are tender about 5-8 minutes. Add in the garlic, hamburger and cubed beef and jalapeños.
- Add the beef stock and 1 cup of the coffee and season with a pinch of salt. Cover the Dutch oven and place into the preheated oven until the beef is tender about 4 hours.
- Once the 4 hours are up, turn oven to 400° F, add in the potatoes and carrots and the other ½ cup of coffee. Cover and continue to cook for another 1 hour until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Sprinkle with dried parsley before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!