Red-Eye Beef Stew
- Dutch Oven
- 4 Lbs. Top round Beef roast (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Lb. Ground Hamburger
- 1-2 Jalapeños (Cut in Half ( if you don't like spicy just use one pepper, if you are like me and love the spice use both peppers))
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp. Paprika
- 6-8 Fresh Sage Leaves (Whole)
- 1 ½ Cups Strong Brewed Coffee
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 5-10 Red Potatoes (cut in half or in 4th's depending on how big they are)
- 1 small bag Baby Carrots (whole)
- ¼ cup Dried Parsley
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 2 tsp. Vegetable Oil
Preheat oven to 250° F. Season the beef cubes on all sides with salt and pepper.
In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the 1 tsp. butter. Add the hamburger and season with salt and pepper and cook until browned about 5-10 minutes, remove to a plate.
Working in batches, sear the cubes of meat and jalapeño halves on all sides until brown. about 10-12 minutes. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Leave all of the fat in the Dutch oven.
Toss the beef cubes and Jalapeno with the flour, lightly coating each piece on every side.
Add to the hot Dutch oven the onions, paprika and sage leaves, stirring until the onions are tender about 5-8 minutes. Add in the garlic, hamburger and cubed beef and jalapeños.
Add the beef stock and 1 cup of the coffee and season with a pinch of salt. Cover the Dutch oven and place into the preheated oven until the beef is tender about 4 hours.
Once the 4 hours are up, turn oven to 400° F, add in the potatoes and carrots and the other ½ cup of coffee. Cover and continue to cook for another 1 hour until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Sprinkle with dried parsley before serving.