HOPPIN JOHN VARIATION (WITH WHITE CHILI BEANS NOT BLACK EYED PEAS)
Sausage and rice with white beans
- Dutch Oven
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 pack Thick cut Bacon (chopped into about 3 inch pieces)
- 2 packs andouille sausage (sliced on the bias into about 1/2 inc pieces)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (or any color you have at home)
- 1 Large Onion (chopped)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 Tbsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp. Ancho Chili Powder
- 2 Cans White chili beans (With liquid)
- 4 Cups Chicken stock
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Long Grain white Rice
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
- ¼ Cilantro (finely chopped )
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
In large Dutch Oven heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering.
Add chopped bacon until almost crispy, add in sausage and cook until both are golden brown and crispy 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan, place in a bowl. Leave bacon fat in pan!
Add in the onions and yellow bell pepper, season with a touch of salt (not much just a pinch at this point) Cook until tender and onions are translucent. Add in the garlic, oregano and a pinch more of salt and pepper and the chili powder. Cook until you smell the garlic about 1-2 minutes.
Add in the 2 cans of beans with liquid, and rice and bacon and sausage as well as the chicken stock and water, cover and cook about 20-30 minutes until rice is done.