HOPPIN JOHN VARIATION (WITH WHITE CHILI BEANS NOT BLACK EYED PEAS)
Sausage and rice with white beans
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 pack Thick cut Bacon chopped into about 3 inch pieces
- 2 packs andouille sausage sliced on the bias into about 1/2 inc pieces
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper or any color you have at home
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Tbsp. Mexican Oregano
- 1 tsp. Ancho Chili Powder
- 2 Cans White chili beans With liquid
- 4 Cups Chicken stock
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Long Grain white Rice
- 1 Cup Jasmine Rice
- ¼ Cilantro finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In large Dutch Oven heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add chopped bacon until almost crispy, add in sausage and cook until both are golden brown and crispy 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan, place in a bowl. Leave bacon fat in pan!
- Add in the onions and yellow bell pepper, season with a touch of salt (not much just a pinch at this point) Cook until tender and onions are translucent. Add in the garlic, oregano and a pinch more of salt and pepper and the chili powder. Cook until you smell the garlic about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the 2 cans of beans with liquid, and rice and bacon and sausage as well as the chicken stock and water, cover and cook about 20-30 minutes until rice is done. serve hot!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!