Southern Cast Iron Skillet Green Beans with Mushrooms, Onions, and Bacon
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 lb. Green Beans Fresh & trimmed or canned & drained
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 1 lb Mushrooms sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 4 slices Thick cut bacon chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf whole
- 1-2 Cups Chicken Broth/Stock enough to cover green beans
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice bacon and cook in the skillet over medium heat until crispy, 5- 6 minutes. Set on paper towel lined plate to get rid of the excess grease. Reserve bacon grease in pan.
- While bacon is cooking chop the onion, mushrooms and dice the garlic.
- Prep the green beans or drain if using canned.
- Add the onions, mushrooms and bay leaf to the skillet with the bacon grease and saute until the onions and mushrooms have softened and begin to brown on the edges slightly.
- Add the minced garlic and green beans and add enough broth to just cover the beans (depending on how big your skilet is, that could be up to 2 cups broth).
- Bring the green beans to a boil, then turn it down to low and simmer the green beans for 50- 60 minutes. Add cripsy bacon and Serve warm.