Chili Con Carne
Mexican style chili
- 1 lb. Bacon sliced into large pieces
- 2 lbs. Ground Hamburger
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves finely minced
- Kosher Salt to taste
- ¼ Ancho Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp. Ground Cumin Powder
- 2 Tsp. Paprika
- 2 Tsp. Dried Oregano
- 2 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 1 12 oz. Beer You can use light or dark
- 2 tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 28 oz can Whole Plum Tomatoes crushed by your hands
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- 2 15 oz cans Black Beans Drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. Hot Sauce
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced scallions, sour cream Optional
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch Oven over medium heat until crunchy. 6-8 minutes per side.
- Drain bacon on paper towel lined plate and let cool, then crunch up or slice into pieces.
- Pour of all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings from the pan.
- Reserve the bacon drippings
- Increase the heat to medium high, add the beef and cook as you cook break up the meat with a spatula or spoon, until fully cooked and browned. 8-10 minutes
- Move the ground meat to a plate using a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings you saved into the Dutch oven, over medium high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently until softened. about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and 1 teaspoon salt and cook 3 minutes. add the chili powder, cumin, paprika and oregano and tomato paste. Cook until tomato paste is dark red in color about 6-7 minutes. ( if mixture seems thick, add a little splash of the beer) Add the rest of the beer and simmer about 3-4 minutes until reduced slightly.
- Stir the beef and all juice's from your plate, add the cocoa powder, tomatoes, broth and beans, bacon and bring to a simmer over medium low heat. Stir occasionally until the chili thickens slightly about 1 ½ hours-2 hours
- Stir in the hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Add some beef broth if you feel it's too thick. Serve into bowls and top with the cheese, scallions and our sour cream
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!